Pages

Thursday 18 August 2016

Let's Make Stuff ~ One Sheet Zine

Let's make zines. Seriously, you totally should. They don't have to be fancy but they can be and they don't ever have to be seen by anyone except you but you could print hundreds and hand them out to everyone and they can be about everything or nothing at all. There's a bit of a trend at the minute for people making independent magazines or small self published books and calling them zines when they maybe shouldn't, don't let it put you off though. The one thing everyone can agree on about zines is how accessible they are and that anyone can make one regardless of funds and skill. It's your thing for you.

While I was making some zines the other day I thought someone might find it useful if I recorded the folding process. Hopefully I don't explain it too badly. Once you've done it once it's really easy. One sheet folded zines are actual magic, the only thing I don't like about them is that I have no need for my long arm stapler but the fact they don't need any binding also works as a pro so I'll let it slide. I use a4 paper in the video but you could use the same folding technique on whatever size paper. I'm planning to do some a3 ones soon so that when I use the blank side for posters they'll be nice and big. (Although, obviously, posters would work on any size.)


You can find my July zine that's in the video here. If you make zines leave your links in the comments and show off to me (*≧ω≦*) 

Here's a very rough example for a page guide. Obviously that centre line should actually be down the centre and all the lines should be straight but it's enough to give you an idea for where to put your content (if you even want it to sit on the pages 'correctly' you could totally just mash it all on randomly and it would be really cool too. Because all zines are cool. That's part of the magic).


No comments:

Post a Comment