Pages

Saturday 18 May 2019

Turn The Page Book Arts Fair

On Friday we visited Turn The Page Book Art Fair at the forum. I found out about it a couple of years ago and hadn't managed to actually go but this year I'm adamant to not let as many things pass me by. There were some pieces on show and people with tables showing/selling their work and all the work is based around books. But the books don't just have art in them, the books are the art. It was so cool. I love books, I love handmade items, I love art. I came away from it feeling inspired to make more stuff. I definitely want to make some more ooak books.

I don't want to make assumptions about anyone but overall it felt a little white/middle age/middle class which I was expecting anyway tbh and while there was a range of different types of work (and a section for some educational groups, artpocket and some universities), I'd love to go to a more diverse version of the fair. Imagine how much more variety in the works you'd get to see.
There were some books that looked like they were made entirely from bits of ephemera, the pages as well as what was collaged onto the pages and I loved them so much. There were some really interesting types of binding and ways to fold pages.

Something I took away from it was that I looked at some books and didn't see an obvious theme or know what it was about and I still loved it and I feel like it will be a good reminder to let go of over-explaining or needing an obvious running theme before I start to make something. Sometimes something can just exist and be its own thing, it doesn't necessarily need an easy to follow clear theme, maybe the theme is just that it got made or maybe I know the theme and you don't and that doesn't matter.

I came away from it feeling so inspired to make some books and to remember to not be so restricted when I'm making things.
I'm really feeling that I'm not articulate enough to explain this event and how it made me feel but seeing art is always awesome and I've definitely been left wanting to create even more than I do anyway and it's given me a lot to think about too.


Afterwards we went for a hot drink and did a bit of drawing and then we nosed around Waterstones while we waited for our bus. There were so many books I wanted in Waterstones *wah* but at least I got to have a peek. Another good thing about the day was that we treated ourselves to a bus ride. We normally walk or cycle everywhere and it's pretty tiring. It felt really good to get into the city and not already be worn out and to get home and not be totally wrecked. Transport is magic, next time you're stuck in a traffic jam just remember how lucky you actually are!

Anyway, I won't turn this into a ramble about gratitude and noticing the good daily things (although you totally should!) and I'll end with my video from the day. Thanks Turn The Page, I'll definitely be back next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment