Pages

Thursday 20 June 2019

Otaku Anime💖

I'm fairly new to anime. As a teenager I'm sorry to admit that I wouldn't have liked it so it's ok that I had no knowledge of it, through my twenties I got more and more interested in japanese culture in general, folklore/traditional and pop culture. I got to a point where I was seeing a lot of stuff connected to various anime/manga and knowing I liked it without actually having a way to consume any of it.
Long story short, over the past couple of years I have had good access to anime, finally, and am ready to start making lists on my blog because what other joy is there in this world!?
I recently used my amazon prime free trial because (although I try to avoid amazon) I needed something quickly for the rats and figured while I had it I'd take advantage of the tv and film on there. I have a few things saved but other than Your Name there wasn't anything available that I already had on my watchlist so I just added a few bits, some totally new to me, some I recognised the title, that seemed like they might suit me and am trying to get through it before the trial ends. I started with Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku which finally brings us to the point of this blog post😂

I love anime about otaku. So far I've found otaku and cute-girls-being-a-bit-fantasy/magical-slice-of-life are my favourite cosy topics. It's not about whether they're the "best" series but these topics always bring me joy. As mentioned in my last post I don't let myself spend enough time with hobbies so I still have a lot of catching up to do in my anime watching but here are a few of the anime that I've watched that have an otaku theme somehow.


Himouto! Umaru-chan
This is one of the first anime I watched and I love her. It's about a girl who out of the house seems like the perfect student, smart, pretty, kind but as soon as she gets home she's a lazy otaku, lounging around playing games, eating snacks and getting her brother to do everything for her. This really fills the otaku theme that I enjoy, I love all the references, I love the slightly mis-named brands and I love her.


Gamers
This is more about the love triangles/misunderstandings of the characters than it is about games but the otaku game references are always there and it's their love of games that links them all together and causes them to meet. I'd like a second season of this, I don't know what happens in the light novels but it didn't feel like it ended. But maybe that's just because I wanted to see different people end up together!


Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku
This one is set in an office rather than a school which is nice just because it's adults rather than kids and it's just so sweet. I watched it on a whim because of the prime trial and ended up really enjoying it. Narumi starts a new job and hopes to keep her otaku side a secret (she's a fujoshi) but it turns out someone she knew when she was younger works there and it comes out because he's an otaku too and doesn't hide it at all. I love that this has four otaku characters, each with a different interest and it's just a perfect mix of otaku stuff and romance and I really want to read the manga now.


Sanrio Boys
I'm not sure if Sanrio Boys entirely counts but they're pretty passionate about their beloved characters and I think that's otaku. Also, it's the sweetest anime about boys being allowed to like cute stuff and I love it to death. I was totally expecting it to just be a fairly shallow advert for Sanrio but it's so. good. There are five characters and they each have a different Sanrio character that they have an attachment to and that's what ends up bringing them all together and it's adorable and good and let boys like cute stuff please it would solve a lot of the worlds problems😭


Comic Girls
Comic Girls is one of my favourites. Again I'm not sure about the technicalities of whether it's an otaku anime but they're all trying to be mangaka and we definitely go to Akihabara during the series so I'm counting it. You can be an otaku for art supplies, right?
This follows four girls that go to live at a special dorm to improve at being mangaka, they each have their own genre and they're just trying their best to be good at drawing comics and supporting each other and tbh I cried a lot. The art connection is too much for me and some of the struggles are just too relatable plus it's cute girls and that's my main weakness. I love Kaos-chan so much😭💖
I really want to read the manga but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been translated which is just sad.

If you can recommend any otaku based anime (or anything else) then I'd be happy to hear about it😊
I've started Dororo (not otaku based but very good) and am having an emotional break down trying to finish it before my trial ends. I'd normally watch something this dramatic/emotional slower but I really want to get to finish it so am just powering through😫

No comments:

Post a Comment