Pages

Saturday 30 March 2019

10 Years Old

I made my first post on this blog 10 years ago today!
I love blogs. They've changed a lot I think because of how many places there are now to share online and maybe because it became something that could be a job. I don't post as much as I want to because I worry about repeating myself across platforms, because it might be off-putting to people who follow me in more than one place but also because is it a waste of my time to upload things and talk about things in more than one place and then I should probably share where more people are looking if what I'm sharing is somehow linked to work. And I think most of what I have to post now is linked to work because I also wonder if at the minute I'm actually a bit more boring than I used to be and don't have much to share! Or maybe I've just lost the knack for it and I need to find it again. I don't know but I do know blogs feel special and I plan to keep having one.


I think maybe blogs having a smaller audience will help let me just have a place to share and ramble without worrying too much about it and it can be more and more like when I very first started blogging, even before this one, when there weren't established ways for a blog to be, people were just doing whatever they thought was cool. I think it's more common now for people to try and have an "online presence" that fits into certain rules of "successful" (to attract sponsors maybe) and these blogs seem to be easier to come across but don't tend to interest me and it seems harder to find personal blogs because I guess people just use instagram or twitter or tumblr because it's easier?
I wonder if it also has to do with more people being online. I feel like the internet used to be more for the weirdos and now it's for everyone and the average person is not a weirdo so there's going to be more stuff that I find boring and it's just harder to find the thing you like if it's mixed into a bigger pile of stuff than before.
(I'm using weirdo in a very broad sense, covering a variety of weirdo types. I'm not articulate enough to explain myself any better!) (And I'm not saying that if I find it boring it's bad, that's just personal taste.)



I'm not complaining, things change and that's fine. I'd love blogs to have a comeback though, they give me similar feelings to zines. Zines and blogs aren't quite the same but they do have that aspect of being able to just share whatever you like without it being attached to a load of other stuff. How you feel looking at something on a feed is going to be influenced by the other thing you saw a second ago and the thing you're already seeing next, whether you notice it having an influence or not. How you would connect with a post on a blog and the same post on a feed you're scrolling through is different and it's just something interesting to think about.



There are probably loads of active blogs that I would love, I just need to figure out how to find them! Please share yours if you have one! Or point me towards any you like.



Most of my posts on here will be broken now because I was using flickr for hosting my photos and they made changes recently and will have deleted most of my stuff :(
I went through my hard drives though and put together a little 4 x 4 for each year because I love a look back at photos and an anniversary is an obvious time to indulge in it ^-^




Thanks for reading to the end :3

1 comment:

  1. I discovered your blog recently as I was looking for more journal-ish blogs to follow, and this entry really spoke to me, I agree so much with what you've said. I've been feeling a real nostalgia for the internet of like 5 years ago when blogs were more real and everyone was doing their own thing and what they loved instead of trying to be a 'brand'. I started my blog over this year as I realised that I'd started blogging like I felt I was supposed to instead of how I wanted to, and realising I'd become self conscious like that made me sad. I've been blogging for over 10 years too and I can't imagine ever not having a blog at this point. What you said about a feed influencing what you're seeing makes a lot of sense I hadn't realised before too.

    ReplyDelete