Pages

Friday 22 March 2019

Patchy Mistakes


I've been making some new embroidered patches this week. All of them except the newest one have gone wrong so far but it's ok because I can see why they've gone wrong and I will do them again better.


I have a really hard time doing things if they might go wrong. When it's work, wasted time and wasted materials can matter a lot. If I spend a whole week making mistakes then I haven't made anything I can get paid for. (even when I make lots of good new things I still might not get paid if they don't sell. haha, laugh away the panic.....)
But sometimes I worry so much about getting things wrong that I do nothing and that's so much worse than making mistakes.


I've said that here before I think but I'm saying it again because I'm now actually teaching myself to just do things and see what happens. It's hard to re-train yourself out of bad habits but it's really nice when you start to see it working.
So this week I spent time on these embroideries even when they started to go wrong so I could fully figure out what worked and what didn't and now I'll make some edits to some designs, choose some different threads and make them again and be proud of them.


I'll also be trying out some bonding web stuff (I've forgotten what it's called) to back them with instead of using felt like my other patches. I've never used it before and so need to learn it and also I want to see if it is something that can make my patches be "iron on" instead of "sew on". I'm happy to sew my patches and like that I could take them off and use them somewhere else but I assume a lot of people would prefer iron on? It'd be nice to have it as an option.
I can use the gone wrong embroideries to test the new webbing stuff so when I make mistakes with that it won't matter so much!


I also ordered a couple of coloured fat quarters on ebay, all my patches have been on calico till now, I'm looking forward to trying some coloured backgrounds. See how many mistakes I can make choosing threads to use on them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment