Pages

Sunday 16 July 2017

all the things i don't know about embroidery, yet

The start of the week I was out and about in the city which I posted here. The rest of the week was shrouded by hormonal brain and I didn't get as much done as I wanted to but I did do this little embroidery over a couple of afternoons.

Untitled

It's all over the place, I know, that's actually intentional. I wasn't trying to make a good piece I was just experimenting. I have a go at embroidery every now and then and I make my patches which are quite simple for the most part but I still don't really have a lot of experience with it so I wanted to try a couple of things and just see what the results would be.
I used regular sewing thread rather than embroidery floss for the first time. I did the right side of the hair with embroidery floss at first to compare them but I unpicked that to try two types of stitching with the same thread. You can see in the photo above that it's shinier on the floss side which sometimes bothers me with embroidery floss but regular thread is so thin that I guess it's more work to fill an area and I found working that many stitches on this fabric was pulling the fabric too much, I can see where there are little "holes" that are just the fabric being pulled too tight in both directions. That could probably be solved with slightly heavier fabric though I guess? This fabric was too thin to hold so many stitches I think, it'd be better for simpler, mostly line work designs maybe.

Untitled

I love the look of embroidery with my drawings though. I'm going to get some little hoops and make some pieces to hang on the wall. When I take my fabric out of the hoops it gets so wavy, another missing piece to my knowledge, am I being too critical and that is just how embroidery looks, is the fabric wrong, is how I do the stitches wrong, am I pulling the fabric too tight in the hoop, do you take it out of the hoop and re-stretch it somehow, some other thing I haven't thought of?? I think hanging work in the hoops looks cute though so there's no rush to figure it out at least.

Untitled

In an attempt to clear my grumpy head I went for a quick stroll round the meadow which I haven't been too in ages. It was nice, I saw some cows and ate a blackberry ^_^

Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment