Pages

Thursday 21 July 2016

Recent Reads ~ First Bad Man, Batgirl, Saga, Paper Girls, Fangirl and Death Note

*Writing words is not my thing, reviews are not my thing. However, I love books so much and always want to share what I've been reading so I'm just going to go ahead and do it regardless. Also, I don't much care about spoilers so who knows if I say too much or not but I also rarely read anything new. Read at your own risk.*

The First Bad Man by Miranda July - This is classic why I don't try and do reviews territory. I guess this book is about a woman who is suffering with anxiety, loneliness maybe, being very constrained and then someone is forced into her life, literally living in her space and she starts feeling things rather than holding everything back. This makes it sound like a very different book though. The things she feels aren't necessarily healthy. And there are all sorts of off shoots. I dunno but you should read it. It's a little uncomfortable at times but that's not always a bad thing, this is a really good book.

Batgirl Volume 1 Batgirl of Burnside by Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher and Babs Tarr - I really enjoyed this. I haven't read any Batgirl before, but have a basic knowledge of her background. I thought how this was set now with the tech was handled well. Because I'm old and remember when stories didn't need to include the internet sometimes fake social media/apps in stories seem a little shoehorned to be 'current' and 'down with the kids' but this really didn't (let me tell you a story children about the days when not everyone even had the internet and mobiles could only call and text and you had to pull out the little aerial and not everyone had one of those either...lol). I really liked the art style and the use of colour was great. Also the diversity in the characters was very welcome in such a mainstream comic. The story was good to, lol. Reviews pro.

Saga Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples - I had obviously known of the existence of this comic for a long time. Everyone loves it, everyone suggests it to people who don't read comics yet. I hadn't decided not to read it, there's just a lot I want to read so not everything has been got to. Anyway, I read it in one sitting the day before I had to take it back to the library and I really enjoyed it. I hadn't read anything so fantasy in a while so it was nice to have so many different species? creatures? I dunno, characters. It definitely got me hooked, I got volume 2 out when I took this back.


Paper Girls Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan, Cliff Chiang and Matthew Wilson - I really enjoyed this. Before I read it I wasn't really sure what it was about except a group of girls in the 80's (that's all I really needed to know) and then there was added sci-fi shit going down. I liked how the time differences were handled in terms of one of the girls often saying some pretty inappropriate things to current ears (always inappropriate, more 'acceptable' back then) and at one point the guy from the future is just like, "you're just an ignorant past person, things change love". I'm pretty sure those are his exact words. The art and colours are beautiful and I can't wait to see where the story goes. I'm kind of annoyed I've read it so close to when it was released because now I'll have to wait ages for the next trade. At least being behind the times works out well for that.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - The blurb on the back of this book read to me like "she writes fanfic and is a nerd but now she's going to college so she'll have to stop that stupid stuff and grow up" which I obviously thought sounded really lame. But I kept seeing people love it that I assumed wouldn't think like that so I gave it a go. The first half of the book I found a little dull. Oh there's two of them and one is extrovert and maybe a little too into the party with frats thing and the other is too introvert in a rather unhealthy way, how different but the same, did we mention they're identical twins!! But about halfway through when the dad ends up in hospital I thought it got a lot more interesting and I ended up liking it. Mostly because she doesn't give up on being a nerd, she just fits it in her life with all the other good stuff she likes. The idea you should grow out of stuff like that bugs me so bad so I'm glad it didn't go down that route. I guess it might seem preachy to some people about the party/drinking thing with the whole "you must never drink now and come home every weekend" reaction but it didn't bother me because I don't drink or go to parties. And she was using it as a coping mechanism (same as Cath was hiding from everything) which isn't healthy... Overall, not sure how it gets so much praise but I did like it.
Sidenote: I will never stop being surprised by the US every time I remember you go to uni before you're old enough to drink. You're an adult now go off and live by yourself and be an academic, but no wait you're also a child and you're not allowed to drink alcomohol yet. Weird.

Deathnote Volume 1 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - This was not what I was expecting. In a good way, and I'm not sure what it was I was expecting lol. Ryuk is kinda adorable and Light is evil and scary. There's something to be said there about death not being scary and humans being twats but I'm not articulate enough to say it. I enjoyed this too.

Maybe I should just list all the books I've read and at the bottom put 'I enjoyed these' ^_^

Please tell me what you are reading or what I should read and add me on goodreads if you use that because I love it for finding new books to add to my ever growing list ^_^

Also, go visit your library if you don't already (and if you do then go an extra time, treat yourself), it's where I got all these books from. Libraries are magical, amazing and important and need your support. If you can't get to your local library look them up online, I know mine also do ebooks and stuff so maybe they can still help you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment