Pages

Saturday 18 June 2016

Recent Reads ~ Hunger Games, Nick and Norah, Batgirl, The First Bad Man

*Writing words is not my thing, reviews are not my thing. However, I love books so much and always want to share what I've been reading so I'm just going to go ahead and do it regardless. Also, I don't much care about spoilers so who knows if I say too much or not but I also rarely read anything new. Read at your own risk.*

I finally read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I say finally but I hadn't actually wanted to read it until recently. When the first film came out there were copies of the first chapter being given away at the cinema and I thought it was awful. I also didn't enjoy the film. So reading the book was way down on my list of wants. For some reason though I had a recent hankering to try it out and I actually enjoyed it. By the end there was far too much of the whole love triangle thing for me. It would be amazing to have a story for teenagers about a teenage girl who can win an awful survivalist competition and be about the disgusting government and all that jazz and not include romance like otherwise girls won't be interested. The idea of it being used as their plot device in the games to make people care about them didn't bother me so much but I felt like the end was properly 'well the capitol hate me and are probably going to do something about that but what's more important is to focus on this issue of the two boys I didn't fancy but realised they fancy me so now I think I fancy them oh my gosh what do i do'. Is everyone not bored of the 'super pretty girl everyone wants to go out with doesn't realise anyone likes her' thing? I know I am. Plus I really hated her thought that was something about how she didn't ever want to get married because she didn't want to raise children. Girls, listen. You can get married and not have children. It's totally possible. Anyway, I'm rambling on negatively which I don't actually want to do (it's quite disconcerting that it's easier to talk about what you don't like than what you do). I read it really quickly in a can't put it down, just one more chapter kind of way. I like that she was capable of killing people but didn't relish in it and concentrated on surviving instead. I also really liked how gross some of the descriptions were. I'm definitely going to read the next one, and hope for not so much of the love triangle but I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed.


























Next I read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan and wow what a hot mess. I picked this up because it caught my eye while finding The Hunger Games and I remember wanting to see the film. I still want to watch the film because I feel like if I was watching Kat Dennings and Michael Cera be those people it'd be fun but reading it was just way too much. No one actually talks like that all of the time and if they do I don't want to listen to them. I also didn't really like how Norah was handled "oh I think I'm frigid, no wait I'm desperate to do a blow job I'm not frigid after all happy dance" I dunno, it didn't sit well with me but maybe I'm a prude. I'm pretty sure I'm not though. The characters just weren't believable while being read, it's like they were just saying things they'd heard in films and I don't think real people can do that constantly but it's probably not fair for me to judge the writing style seeing as I'm not the target audience. Maybe I'm just old. I did like the fact that it only covered one night though, that was cool.

Currently I'm reading The First Bad Man A Novel By Miranda July which is very much a change from the YA books. I'm only a couple chapters in but I'm really enjoying it. I like how it's written and the story is seriously creeping me out which is always interesting. I'm also reading Batgirl Volume 1 Batgirl of Burnside which I'm enjoying very much and totally won't rant about how annoying it is for Volume 1 to start with issue 35 no matter how much you want to let people know it's a good place to start reading if you haven't read the rest of it but it's also not actually the start of a new arc or something. I won't. The art is gorgeous, the diversity of characters so far is gorgeous and I'm enjoying the story. It's making me want to go back and read more Batgirl comics. I heard there was some upset about a part of the story line originally but I believe they edited it before the trade was released so I guess I won't have to deal with that.

Please tell me what you are reading or what I should read and add me on goodreads if you use that because I love it for finding new books to add to my ever growing list ^_^

Also, go visit your library if you don't already (and if you do then go an extra time, treat yourself), it's where I got all these books from. Libraries are magical, amazing and important and need your support. If you can't get to your local library look them up online, I know mine also do ebooks and stuff so maybe they can still help you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment