Pages

Friday 31 July 2015

Norwich Pride 2015 Part 1

Last weekend I spent an afternoon in the city taking too many photos and having a great time at Norwich Pride. There was a march from one of the parks that ended up outside the library where there were a variety of people/organisations with stalls and a stage was set up for entertainment and speeches. I've split my photos into two posts so as to not make it crazy long.

I'm going to get this out of the way now because I so much almost wasn't going to mention it but I think I should. Once while watching the march I saw two guys pointing and laughing at someone that was taking part and I later heard two lesbians made a snide comment about bisexual people. I don't want to attach anything negative to the day because it was awesome and without being too cheesy I came away from it feeling really uplifted but I think it's important to point out. If people that are actually attending pride are being narrow minded then that really shows why pride is so important. Imagine what some people who wouldn't go to pride are thinking and saying and that is just wrong. It all needs to stop.

Anyway, onward with photos of wonderfulness!

  Norwich Pride 2015

I took so many photos of that main banner, every time I saw it that day I was like 'best take another one just in case the last one wasn't any good' It's all embroidered, patchwork type bits and I love it.

Norwich Pride 2015

When I was looking up info for what was going on at the event I was really impressed with how often it mentioned disabled folk. 'Proud and Disabled' were at the front of the march, and there was a disabled viewing area outside the library to watch the stage and all the speeches and bits were BSL signed. I was mighty impressed, I don't need to go looking for that information so I don't know if it tends to be easily available but the fact I so easily saw it must have been real handy for those who needed to know about it.

  Norwich Pride 2015

Sing with Pride sung their way along the route.

Norwich Pride 2015

I wasn't specifically checking so might be wrong but I realised later that Labour were the only political party I saw there. That's Clive by the way, our MP. If you follow me on twitter you may have seen my regular amazement at having an MP that actually says things I agree with so it was good to see him in the march. Also, as was pointed out by someone on twitter the only sports team tabling at it were the Norfolk Brawds so claps to you guys.

   Norwich Pride 2015Norwich Pride 2015 Norwich Pride 2015 Norwich Pride 2015 Norwich Pride 2015 Norwich Pride 2015 Norwich Pride 2015 Norwich Pride 2015

In case you can't read it it says ' not gay as in happy, but queer as in fuck heteronormativity'. On the back it said something along the lines of 'don't use my identity for your marketing' which I found especially funny because Nando's pride flags and stickers seemed to be everywhere, along with someone dressed as the Nando's chicken running around handing out vouchers. It's a weird one, where's the line with a company showing support and using people to gain profits. I'm not articulate enough to even try and tackle it. I don't suppose it's even my place to try.

Norwich Pride 2015

A pun will always please me. (There's that Nando's chicken in the background too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment